The Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestrais a non-profit community orchestra, established in 1976, that promotes its mission of Enriching and Educating the Community through Music by:
- Offering enriching performances of orchestra music for the region's residents and visitors.
- Providing orchestral music education for children and youth in the region, especially those who have limited access to such experiences.
- Providing a means for professional and amateur musicians in the region to play interesting and challenging music in a full orchestra setting.
- Providing opportunities for soloists and guest conductors, from the region and beyond, to perform before appreciative local audiences.
The orchestra's plans and policies are established by the Music Director and a Board of Directors composed of citizens from the surrounding communities.
Support of the Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra is provided, in part, by the DeKalb County Community Foundation, by corporate sponsorship, by WNIU/WNIJ station sponsorship, and by private donations.
Arthur D. Montzka Memorial Concert
NIU Boutell Memorial Concert Hall
This concert will feature this year's winner of the Arthur D. Montzka Young Artists Concerto Competition: Nathan Mo, cellist.
- Overture to “Romeo and Juliet”, by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- Cello Concerto No. 1 in Eb Major, Op. 107, by Dmitri Shostakovich
- Symphony No. 2, Op. 132 (“Mysterious Mountain"), by Alan Hovhaness
This concert is supported in part by The Mary E. Stevens
Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra Awards
The Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra (KSO) has received the following recognition from the Illinois Council of Orchestras:
- The Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra was named the 2009 Community Orchestra of the Year
- The Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra Music Director, Linc Smelser, was named the 2009 Conductor of the Year (Small Orchestra)
- The Kishwaukee Symphony Associates was named the 2012 Orchestra Guild of the Year
- The Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra General Manager, Amanda Nelson, was named as the only recipient of a 2013 Honorable Mention as a designation of person who has made outstanding contributions to an orchestra within Illinois.